How much do driving instructors earn?
As a general rule, there’s no reason why you can’t earn more than £30,000 a year with driveJohnson’s.
We have instructors that earn over £40,000+ a year doing it full time.
Your earning potential will vary on the following factors:
- How many hours you decide to work a week
- The areas you are teaching in
- Consistency of driving lessons a week
- The amount of time you give yourself between each lesson
- The start and finish time
- If you sign up to franchise thats £800-£1000 a month then these figures aren’t possible
- At driveJohnson’s it’s all about keeping your overheads low
ADI Earnings Breakdown
Here’s the breakdown of earnings of one of our instructors, who teaches in Milton Keynes.
Driving Instructor in MK
Breakdown of Earnings (51 hour week)
4 Hours @ £20 starter offer = £80
32 Hours @ £25 = £800
15 Hours @ £24 = £360
Total = £1240
Car (owns his car outright) but let’s say he leases the vehicle @ £80 per week (going rate)
Fuel for 51 hours = £3 per hour x 51 = £153
Insurance = £10 per week
Repairs = covered in lease deal
Franchise = £73.50
Other = £25
Take Home (weekly): £898.50
Take home (Yearly with 4 weeks off holiday): £43,128
In certain areas like Oxford, we charge £28 and £29 an hour and the offers are dearer too. So someone in Oxford could expect to earn £10,000-£20,000 more a year.
You may talk to instructors whilst enquirying about becoming a driving instructor and they may laugh or say these figures are not possible.
At driveJohnson’s they are. We can show you over 200 instructor diaries that are busy.
A few reasons why you might not earn more than £30,000 a year
- You don’t do more than 30 hours a week.
- You don’t manage your diary well.
- You leave large gaps between lessons. We usually recommend 20-30 minutes.
- You cancel on your pupils, therefore, when they cancel on you at short notice it’s a bit cheeky to charge.
- You buy an unreliable car and it’s off the road too much.
- You cover too many areas and spend too much time commuting between pupils lessons.
- You don’t do double lessons, 2 hours together.
You are your own boss, but if you want to make serious money, then it does need to have some self discipline skills and not do the above mentioned.